Translate

Search This Blog

2018/05/28

My Service Playing Exam

On May 22nd, I did my Service Playing Exam through the Royal Canadian College of Organists. It was my first exam with them.
I attended a Hymn Playing Workshop with Thomas Fitches in preparation for the exam and I think it really helped.

My exam was at St. Clement's Anglican Church and I was allowed some practice time before.

Here are a few pictures from inside the church.







The RCCO exam was different from RCM (Royal Conservatory of Music) exams.
The RCCO examiner was behind a screen, so I wasn't able to see him or her and the examiner never spoke directly to me. Someone meets you before the exam and takes you to the organ and he was the person who gave me the sight reading and told me which hymn I would be playing.

I also didn't need to provide copies of my music for the examiner. I guess the examiner might see my name on the music if I had to provide copies.


Here are some videos of some of the pieces I prepared for the exam.

Rigaudon
(Processional for a wedding)


Anthems:
God Be In My Head


God In My Eternity


Hymns:
I chose "Lord Jesus Think On Me" for the hymn that I would definitely play and this is the one I worked on at the workshop.

Lord Jesus Think On Me


The hymn that the examiner selected was "Forth In Thy Name O Christ We Go"
I accidentally hit an extra note at the end of this video, but that didn't happen in the exam.

Forth In Thy Name O Christ We Go

Holy, Holy, Holy (Nicaea) was on the list of hymns that we could play. I had no idea that this was my Grandma's favourite. My Mom didn't tell me until after the exam as she didn't want to influence my choice of hymns. She also didn't want me to get emotional considering how much this piece meant to Grandma.

Holy, Holy, Holy (Nicaea)

Most of these videos are 'unlisted' on youtube and are a special treat here for people who read my blog.

I am still waiting for my results. I'm hoping I did well.

No comments:

Post a Comment