Today, Mom and I went to see Richard Hansen play the organ at The Cathedral Church of St. James.
He started playing organ when he was 13 years old. :-)
The program was quite diverse.
It consisted of:
- Prelude and Fugue in C Minor, BWV 546 by J.S. Bach
- Voluntary in E Minor. No. 7, Op. 7 by John Stanley
- Berceuse by Louis Vierne
- Trumpet Air by Bert Vander Hoek
- Master Tallis' Testament by Herbert Howells
- Air and Interlude by Bert Vander Hoek
- Paraphrase on "Time is the Glory" by Alexandre Guilmant
Richard Hansen's playing was extraordinary!
I especially loved the Bach and the Guilmant pieces and Mom's favourite was the Trumpet Air by Bert Vander Hoek.
The organ is spectacular!
The pipe organ was originally built in 1888. It now has 5101 pipes with 87 ranks. (Each set of pipes with the same timbre and volume is called a rank.) It has 67 stops and 4 manuals with 6 divisions.
He and Robert from the St. James Cathedral showed me the organ.
I can't wait to start lessons.