Translate

Search This Blog

2013/12/08

TSO's "A Christmas Carol"

This afternoon we went to the TSO's "A Christmas Carol". John Morris Russell conducted the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, and the Canadian Children's Opera Company.
Other performers were The Holiday Dancers, Scott Coopwood (Narrator for A Christmas Carol), and Alan Anderson (Actor). Vivienne Elborne was the Stage Director.

There were a lot of kids at this concert! I was a little upset that I didn't get my own program. The usher said that they were running out so we only got one for the three of us. I wasn't interested in the children's activity book.

I liked almost all of the songs that they performed. My favourites were A Winter Musical which was arranged for the Cincinnati Pops (it's a mixture of Vivaldi's Winter and Hannukah Oh Hannukah) arranged by Tim Berens; Prokofiev's Troika from Lieutenant Kijé; and Bizet's Farandole from L'Arlésienne Suite No. 2.

I liked the Kids' Christmas Medley. It was nice to see the children from the Canadian Children's Opera Company performing so well and they looked like they were having a lot of fun too.

My absolute favourite part of the concert was the performance of "A Christmas Carol". Scott Coopwood is an excellent Narrator and Actor. He made it so believable! The actors were all dressed in Victorian style clothes and they had a very simple set. It was even funny in parts! I loved how they used the music in the background especially God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. I also recognized Joy to the World and Greensleeves.

I think the percussionists must have had a lot of fun in this concert. They got to use all sorts of things that we don't normally see. They had sleigh bells, chimes, a rainmaker, a slapstick and a lot more! They even used chains when Marley's Ghost was on stage!

After the concert John Morris Russell signed autographs and he took a picture with me! :-)

The whole concert was a lot of fun and I hope to go again next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment