Translate

Search This Blog

2016/11/03

David Briggs's "Music at Midday" Concert at St. James Cathedral

I really love going to the "Music at Midday" Concerts at St. James Cathedral. :-)

On Tuesday, I convinced Mom to take me to the organ recital. We got to meet David Briggs and he let me watch from beside the console.

I am in awe!

I can't believe his hands and feet can move so fast!
I don't know how it is physically possible.... I wonder how I can learn to do it!

The other thing that is completely amazing is that he can transcribe music that he has heard. It takes him hours upon hours but he is patient enough to do it, and his hearing must be really sensitive to get all of the notes!

He played music in the Notre-Dame tradition including:

  • Marche des Marseilloises by Claude Balbastre (1724 -1799)
  • Pièce d'orgue by Anotoine Calvière (1695 - 1755)
  • from 'Pièces de Fantaisie' by Louis Verne (1870 - 1937)

Impromptu
Clair de Lune
Toccata in B flat minor

  • Toccata de la Libération by Léonce de St Martin (1886 - 1954)
  • Variations sur 'Alouette, gentille Alouette' by Pierre Cochereau and transcribed by David J. Briggs


I am so totally amazed!


He is doing next week's "Music at Midday" concert where he will be performing Gustav Mahler's Symphony Number 3 (which he transcribed) and Mezzo-Soprano Christina Stelmacovich will also perform.

And on November 11th he is doing a Remembrance Day Concert at Lawrence Park Community Church (2180 Bayview Ave) at 8pm, featuring the music of Bach, Franck and Elgar.

No comments:

Post a Comment