Translate

Search This Blog

2013/01/19

Baroque Tuning

When I used to do Suzuki violin I always had a problem with the Baroque pieces. They never sounded right to me. When I played it would sound different from the recordings I liked to listen to. And even though I sounded more like the Suzuki recordings I didn't like them.

I just found out why it sounded so different. My violin was tuned to A440 instead of A415! I didn't even realize that they tuned the instruments differently until I started looking it up. Now, I know why it sounded so strange when I would play!

Here's a really cool video of Pachelbel Canon in D with original instruments and where the A is tuned to 415Hz.
It is performed by the San Francisco Early Music Ensemble Voices of Music on original instruments.


No comments:

Post a Comment